Independent Medical Evaluation

The worker’s compensation case manager or your doctor may request an Independent Medical Evaluation (IME).  These are often done when the doctor feels that you have recovered as much as you are likely to recover. You would be referred to an outside doctor who would independently assess if your condition is fixed and stable and no further treatment is appropriate. In that case, your claim is ready for closure.

If your injury caused permanent loss of body function, you will receive something called a “permanent partial disability award.”  Any permanent partial disability award you receive is based on the degree of damage suffered, not on whether you can work.